OPEN Wednesdays & Saturdays 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (refer to your annual Township Calendar for holiday schedules)
Courteous, friendly Staff are there to assist you, and ensure that the rules and regulations are followed. Anyone who feels the need to mistreat Staff will be asked to leave the Site and not return. Please be kind, even if you’re having a bad day. Staff are there to do their job.
Tipping Fees: $222/tonne. Minimum charge of $10 per visit. Cash, Debit, MasterCard, Visa (no personal cheques)
The Township reserves the right to limit the quantity of material brought into the Transfer Station at any one time. Small amounts of construction material are accepted (e.g. drywall, lumber, shingles, insulation, windows/doors & flooring). Building demolition material is not accepted.
Bag tags are not valid at the Portland Transfer Station. Any waste that is bagged, must be in clear bags.
Large Item Disposal
Here are a few options for you to consider when disposing of a large item: take it to the Portland Transfer Station and pay the applicable charges; take it to a waste disposal company near you; call a local contractor to dispose of it for you; call a family member or neighbour with the means to help you; donate a gently used item to a local charity or post it on social media; place it at the end of your driveway with a “free” sign on it.
- Brush (with Voucher Number)- Each household is entitled to one FREE half ton truck load of brush disposal, annually, at the Portland Transfer Station. Contact Amy at 1-800-928-2250 Ext. 285 to receive your voucher number. This voucher number is for tree limbs and branches only and does not include stumps or leaves/grass clippings. Leaves and grass clippings are free of charge and must be placed in the appropriate pile. Please keep in mind that plastic bags need to be emptied, while paper bags can be tossed into the pile and left behind.
- Clean Recycling Material
- Coniferous trees without lights or decorations
- Electronics – Electronic waste (e-waste) is discarded, surplus, obsolete or broken electrical or electronic devices. These items can be taken to the Portland Transfer Station, free of charge, year-round during regular business hours. Acceptable items:
- Personal computers (desktop & laptop)
- Keyboards, mice, cables
- Monitors (CRT, LCD, plasma)
- Printers (desktop, photo, laser)
- Combination TV/Computer displays
- Telephones & answering machines
- Fax Machines
- Cell phones
- VCR/DVD players
- Video Games/Handheld video consoles
- MP3 Players
- Closed circuit displays
- Leaves/Grass Clippings (MUST empty pails and/or plastic bags)
- Scrap Steel
- These items can be taken to the Portland Transfer Station, free of charge, year-round during regular business hours. Acceptable items:
- Pieces of scrap steel/aluminum
- Steel roofing & aluminum siding
- Barbecues (no propane tanks)
- Bicycles (tires removed)
- Microwaves (glass plate removed)
- Bread makers, toasters & toaster ovens
- Tire rims (tire removed)
- Fridges/freezers (Freon MUST be removed)
- Air Conditioners (Freon MUST be removed)
- Empty paint/stain cans (lids removed, paint/stain wiped out & dry)
- Satellite dishes
- Satellite, cable & digital transmitters or receivers
- Pots, pans & metal bakeware
- Hot water heaters
- Tires (clean and off the rim)