Township of Rideau Lakes
Your location: Township Home > Heritage > Newboyne

Heritage of the Township
NEWBOYNE

Newboyne - St. Peter's Church
St. Peters Church
photo by: Doug Bond
In 1832 local settlers, mostly Irish Protestants named their community New Boyne commemorating the battle of Boyne and reflecting a strong Orange Lodge influence. Throughout its history Newboyne has been a small scattered community with farming as its primary industry and at one time was served by its general store, post office, cheese factory and Orange Hall. However, it is St. Peter’s Anglican Church (Bastard Ward, Lot 6, Con 3) that still forms the heart of the Newboyne community. An imposing sandstone building erected in 1873, with a cemetery and surviving vault, St. Peter’s is one of the most elegant churches in the Ward if not the Township.



Back to Heritage Page      Back to Interactive Map


Top of Page
Top of Page

Township of Rideau Lakes, 1439 County Road 8, Delta, ON, K0E 1G0
email: info@twprideaulakes.on.ca

Home | About Us | Departments | Minutes | Permits | News | Facilities | Heritage | Tourism | Links

* Disclaimer *

© Township of Rideau Lakes