Code of conduct policy
section policy manual
Township of Rideau Lakes
The Code of
conduct for the Building Officials (the “code”) is enacted in accordance with
Section 7.1 of the Ontario Building Code Act, 1992 as amended (the ‘Act”). The
purpose of the code is as follows:
1. To promote appropriate standards of behavior and enforcement actions
by the Chief Building Official( the CBO) and inspectors in the exercise of a
power or the performance of a duty under the Act or Building Code.
2. To prevent practices which may constitute an abuse of power,
including unethical or illegal practices, by the CBO and inspectors in the
exercise of a power or the performance of a duty under the Act or building
3. To promote appropriate standards of honesty and integrity in the
exercise of a power or the performance of a duty under the Act or Building Code
by the CBO and inspectors.
The code applies
to the Township of Rideau Lakes (the corporation) CBO and inspectors and is in
addition to the provision of the Township’s code of conduct for employees’
policy and the workplace harassment/discrimination prevention policy and
Expected standards of
behavior and performance of duties
standard of behavior and performance of duties of the CBO and Inspectors are as
1. Promote the safety of buildings with reference to public health,
fire protection, structural sufficiency, conservation and environmental
integrity, and barrier free accessibility.
2. Apply the Act and the Building Code impartially, without influence,
and in accordance with all applicable legislation.
3. Perform their duties within their respective area of qualification
obtained under the Act.
4. Perform duties with due diligence, honesty and integrity.
5. Extend professional courtesy to all
6. Keep up to date on current building practices through continuous
7. Manage confidential and sensitive information in accordance with all
relevant legislation and the Townships guidelines and policies.
Allegations of breaches of the code
of the Code are a serious matter to the Township and will be dealt with as
such. The CBO will review all allegations against inspectors. Allegations made
against the CBO will be reviewed by the manager of the department.
Upon review of the
allegations, either the CBO (in the case of complaints against an inspector) or
the manager of the dept may determine an appropriate informal course of action
which will effectively resolve the complaint.
If a complaint is not resolved informally or if an informal
resolution is not appropriate, the CBO or the Manager of the dept, as the case
may be, will follow the formal complaint procedure guidelines enumerated in the
Townships Code of conduct for all employees’ policy. These formal compliant
procedure guidelines shall be followed with respect to the investigation of the
compliant; the making of findings, and /or disciplinary action may include, but
is not limited to, the following
a) an apology
e) suspension/leave without pay
h) termination of employment